4.21.2010

Record Store Day Journal 2010

Like Jake did, I thought I'd write about my Record Store Day 2010 experience.  The last two years I really missed out on the special releases because i'd show up at noon or after being that it was a Saurday morning.  Being that I'm a bit older, I have a hard time dealing with crowds and a even harder time dealing with hipsters, but I thought i'd give showing up early a shot. I woke up in the morning thinking I'm not going to get what I want.  Of course The Hold Steady release would be awesome but limited to 400 copies sounds impossible to find unless I showed up a day in adavance and waited in line.  But whatever, I found some cool things last year late in the day, i'd get a goody bag of samplers, and I'd get some food if I went to t he fetus. At a little before 9am, I drove past The Electric Fetus and it was a madhouse! The line was down the block with hipsters and I wasn't going to wait in line for 2 hours.  So I remembered last year Jake said that nobody really went to Down In The Valley.  I went on a Saturday morning drive to Golden Valley and when I arrived at 9:30, a half hour before store open, two people were in line!  I got in line behind a overweight over 40 year old woman with a MUSE shirt who asked me if I'm able to grab the MUSE special release would I grab it for her?  I told her sure.  At 10 am the doors opened with only about 7 of us and I picked up...

"Tighten Up/Howlin For You" - The Black Keys 12 inch
"Mind Eraser No Chaser, HWY 1, Interview" -Them Crooked Vultures picture disc vinyl
"Fences" - Phoenix pink vinyl 12 inch
"Little Secrets/Little Secrets Felix Da housecat mix"- Passion Pit 7 inch
"Compass/Lies Inside" Jamie Lidell 7inch
"live at clark university" Jimi Hendrix Experience vinyl

Besides these finds, at down in the valley I won a Motion City Soundtrack autographed vinyl and I got a free MGMT vinyl slipmat plus a goodie bag full of samplers and stickers.  After I got home I read that the black keys put a secret inside thier release.  I found nothing but after looking at the vinyl, in the dead wax it said Akron Split with an email address.  I emailed the address and twenty minutes later I got a email back saying I was one of 200 lucky winners of a black keys/devo split 7inch!  Needless to say, I had a great day!